On an island off the port of Arrecife, it is the most characteristic fortress of Lanzarote's capital.
San Gabriel Castle, built in 1574 by Philip II when he and his empire were at the peak of glory and wealth, was key to defense of the coast of the expeditions of pirates.
However, the guns of the fortress remained until the arrival of pirate Morato Arráez in 1586, which caused the collapse of the building. Italian architect Leonardo Torriani was selected in 1596 to rebuild the castle with modifications inside. He also ordered the construction of a drawbridge to unite the city with the island where the castle is. The famous bridge of the balls (Puente de las Bolas), which can be seen when walking through one of the main roads in Arrecife.